Saturday 30 March 2019

Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor Review


Rating: 5 Stars
Publication: October 2nd, 2018
Strange the Dreamer #2
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Egalley
Diversity: POC MC & LGBT SC



Quick Summary:

This amazing conclusion to the Strange the Dreamer Duology was even better than the first. Muse of Nightmares picks up exactly where the first book ended, but with the added perspective of two sisters compelling story woven in. We have a tale full of emotion following the gods and humans left behind after centuries of oppression. While picking up the pieces these victims and children of war are  left to decide how to best move forward among the guilt and the pain. Some will choose healing while others will demand revenge.

My Thoughts:

We follow a bunch of characters in this book and I honestly enjoyed them all. I appreciated all the LGBT+ characters and people of color. I also loved all the healing that went on. The focus is mostly on Lazlo and Sarai who both have this whimsical personality that I found very enchanting, but we also get a few others that were just as amazing. We get some interesting insight into Minya personality and her past. Her ruthlessness was intense. Ruby and Feral reminded me so much of those indecisive and misunderstood middle school years. I liked Sparrows quiet kindness.

What really took me by surprise was my love for Thyon. He had some great character development and I couldn't help but feel this fierce fondness for him. Eril-Fane and Azareen story was heart warming. I liked seeing a couple sticking together through thick and thin. Eril-Fanes mother Suheyla was just the most considerate and open minded soul. It was nice seeing her realize the importance of her past. I also enjoyed Calixte sassy character. The cannibal comment had me laughing so hard. I dont think Ill ever forget it. The sisters Kora and Nova were fascinating to read about. I could just feel their love for each other.

Laini Taylor has crafted such an intricate and captivating world. We have gods, and humans who have two hearts; one for blood and one for a silvery substance called spirit. I enjoyed all the twists and turns. The plot was incredibly woven and the writing was phenomenal as usual. There was so many amazing quotes. I found the pace was way more engaging than the first book. It all gets wrapped up nicely with all our questions answered. It left me feeling extremely satisfied, but I wouldn't have minded a bit more death. I loved how this linked back to the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. I really hope we get more books in this universe.

*received for review consideration*

No comments:

Post a Comment