Thursday 30 May 2019

Nexux by Sasha Alsberg & Lindsey Cummings Review


Rating: 3 Stars
Publication: May 7th, 2019
Androma Saga (Zenith) #2
Genre: Scifi/Space
Format: Egalley
Diversity: Not Sure

**Spoilers For Zenith Ahead**

Quick Summary:

Most know Androma Racella as the Bloody Baroness, a powerful mercenary whose reign of terror stretches across the Mirabel Galaxy. To the all female crew aboard her glass starship, Marauder, however, she's just Andi, their friend and fearless leader. Now a fugitive ruthlessly hunted across the Mirabel Galaxy, Andi will risk anything, even her precious freedom, to protect her crew from a blood thirsty enemy with the power of mind control. An enemy whose actions have opened Mirabel to invasion. While fighting for their freedom, Andis crew discover a threat far greater than anything they’ve faced before and only by saving their mortal enemy can they make one last desperate strike to save the galaxy. Unaware that a shattering, centuries-old secret may demand the most wrenching sacrifice of all.

My Thoughts:

Andi is made out to be this badass female protagonists who's always ready to fight and break some bones, but we dont see that backed up with as much action as I would have liked. She is the type who isnt afraid to voice her opinions or head into danger for her friends though. I do wish Andis crew hadnt been absent for most of the book. I seriously missed those girls and the lack of female friendships was especially disappointing considering how I felt about Dex. I thought it was stupid and unfair of him to keep a secret about Andi from Andi. That secret wasnt his to keep and it has the potential to severely mess up her life if she doesnt have that crucial information in a dangerous situation. I also wasnt a fan of the way he tried to make decisions for her when she was healing. He needs to trust or at least respect her ability to make her own decisions even if it isnt one he agrees with. I just didnt care for him all that much.

I thought Nor was a complexe and compelling villain. I loved that we get to understand where her decisions are coming from and see her as more than just evil. She has people in her life she truly cares about and dreams of making a better life for her people. Valen is so devoted to Nor that it almost felt like he was under her compulsion. I never understood why he thought so much of her especially since she had him imprisoned. Maybe he was broken beyond repair in that prison or maybe he's tempted by the idea of having family that cares about him. I just have a difficult time picturing him being led so easily by Nors plans without questionning if what they're doing might be wrong. He grew up among those people afterall. I love a good twist and Arachnid identity was a pretty awesome twist, but Im still not convinced that they couldn't meet up with Nor at some point before she decided to kill all the leaders.

I was a little worried Id forgotten too much of Zenith to enjoy this sequel, but it did a great job of weaving the important facts from the first book into the story. The plot took a while to get exciting with only one action scene in the first 250 pages. I feel like it could have been shortened since the plot doesnt really start to move along until they make contact with the other rebels. The first book was more gripping and that might be because the stakes were more intense. The characters are still in danger in this sequel, but its wasnt as immediate or pressing. The plot was a little convenient at times, but nothing too serious. Some parts took me by surprise while others I kind of saw coming. I found myself rooting for both the side trying to keep everyone under compulsion and the side trying to find a way to free people from it despite knowing which one was clearly in the wrong.

The world was still mesmerizing with its floating moutains, glittering underground city, and fierce ice dragon. I also loved all the different alien species. After the few snippets we got in the first book I was really looking forward to exploring the other galaxy some more, but sadly we dont get to see as much of it as I was hoping. Theres not much futuristic technology so readers who dont typically read scifi should have an easy time understanding it. The writing had quite a few lines that tried to be iconic, but missed the mark because they werent accurate or followed up with some action. Dont get me wrong I love a good iconic line, but don't say "the bloody baroness is out to play" if she isnt actually going to be a badass in the next scenes. That was just a minor issue though and for the most part the writing was fine. Im happy I made the time to see how this duology wrapped up.

*This book was received for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment