Sunday 2 June 2019

Favorite Spring Reads 🌺 2019


These are my favorite reads from the beginning of March to the end of May. I have more here than I was expecting. I read over 30 books, but I still didnt think Id end up with so many favorites. This past season had quite a few disapointments but it was also filled with some amazing reads.

Top 5 Best Reads


Honor Bound
Honor Among Thieves #2
Goodreads

The main character Zara is a badass thief while still being super relatable. The sentient alien ship Nadim is not only a well developped character in his own right, he is also very unique. He's like a big space whale who can carry and bond with passengers. He also eats starlight which accelerates his healing. His and Zaras relationship was so precious I dont even have any words for it. They are just so accepting and loving it literally melts my heart. Zaras piloting partner Bea is also super amazing. Shes a sweet girl with nerves of steel. Theres so many beautiful friendships and plenty of diversity. I loved the outlaw colony setting with all the new alien species. We also get to discover some new technology and none of it was difficult to understand. This book has it all, you get a high stakes plot full of action as well as some of the best characters Ive ever read.

The Kingdom

This was such a dark and twisted fairytale story. Its set in the future at an amusement park where 6 android princesses were created to make peoples happily ever after come true. I really enjoyed the setting and the important themes discussed. The murder mystery was very suspenseful and exciting. I also loved how it was told in a dual time line with the present having court case files and interviews. Mixed format has always been something I really enjoy. Being in the mind of an android was fascinating. Plus scifi thrillers are one of my favorite genres and this is one of the best Ive read. I seriously need many more books in this world.

Red Scrolls of Magic

I dont think Ive ever shipped a couple as much as I have Magnus and Alec. This book has so many adorable moments and romantic angst as we wait for them to finally get a moment alone without demons chasing them. They have this beautiful and healthy relationship that just warms my heart. This is probably the best Shadowhunter book Ive read to date. We get so many awesome character cameos from other books. Two of the most prominent side characters were Aline and Helen. I loved seeing how they first met. It was also fun following Magnus and Alec all over Europe as they try to track down the cult Magnus is rumored to have started. The world is so immersive and well developped with rich history that it feels very lived in. The writing was very bingeable with a lot of funny lines and an engaging pace. We get action scenes and demon fighting all throughout while still getting some wonderfully dynamic characters with a lot of depth.

The Bone Charmer

Both of Saskias two possible futures were very compelling, and I liked that she still felt like herself in both time lines. I loved how in one future her reading sends her on the path she hoped to avoid while the other gave her exactly what she wished for. The switch between the two time lines was well paced and felt cohesive despite the situations being different. The contrast between the reassurance of knowing ones future and feeling caged by it was fantastic. It had a wonderful message about believing that our decisions can shape our future while still trusting that things happen for a reason even if its not what we want right now. The mystery and danger in both futures was very gripping. I really enjoyed how the bone magic was completely integrated in every aspect of the world and the way it played an important role in the characters lives. It was such a fascinating and intricate magic system.

King of Fools
Ace of Shades #2

I really enjoyed the gritty sin city setting and the magic system. The characters have quickly become some of my favorites. Im so happy we got to see Jacs point of view and his struggle with addiction recovery. For the most part, I thought that representation was done with care. I also loved how Enne became a Lord in her own right with some awesome girls by her side. The female friendships and girl gang vibes were amazing. As for Levi he's a little full of himself, but he usually means well. I can appreciate a realistically flawed character. I also really loved how Tock kept checking his ego. The stakes and the danger is amped up even higher than the first book since we have the war breaking out on the North Side and the focus on shady politics.

Honorable Mentions:


Lost Coast

The main character Danny has been searching for a place where she fits in when she meets the Tempest witches and finally feels like she's exactly where she wants to be. Seeing the coven slowly accept her as one of them while she worked on finding one their missing sister witches was extremely satisfying. They each had their own unique personalities and backstories. The female friendships were amazing and I loved the wide range of representation. I also really enjoyed the atmospheric redwood forest and the witches different affinities. We get chapters from ravens and the redwood trees themselves which was super fascinating. The mystery did a great job of keeping me engaged. The main reason this was bumped to honorable mention instead of my favorites is because the beginning was a little difficult to get into and there were a couple confusing parts I just couldn't wrap my head around.

Dark Shores

I enjoyed both Marcus and Terianas perspectives and the complexities of their relationship. The enemies to allies banter they had going on was a lot of fun. This story has a pretty big romantic subplot. I liked how it grew slowly over the course of the book and added some great conflict. I loved how the plot was filled with pirates, blackmail and meddling gods. The ocean journey was super intense. I thought the world was very interesting with the gods, their guardians, and the different god marked powers. The way people can travel long distances in a short amount of time through crystal caves was pretty awesome. This was so gripping I finished it in a couple days. The main reason this was an honorable mention instead of a favorite is because I personally have a difficult time enjoying books where the female main character is held captive.

Best Audiobooks:


Aurora Rising

I grew to really love the ragtag crew of rejects and misfits. They dish out lots of sarcasm and sass. Theres an adorable romance that develops but its a very minor part of the story. The plot turned out to be a lot more epic than I was expecting. We even get a little heist action going on. The reveals we're super exciting and the mystery of Auroas powers was very gripping. I loved all the different alien species and their cultures. The audiobook was extremely well produced with sounds effects and a full cast. I cant wait for the sequel.

Ruse
Want #2

I loved how this sequel not only had the main character from the first books perspective, but it also added two female point of views. I absolutely adored the sapphic romance between Lingyi and Iris, especially when we get to see Iris softer side come out around Lingyi. The romance between Daiyu and Jason was also pretty great. I just really loved all the friendships and was happy to see the group come together again. I also appreciated how the muscle and the brains of their group had a mix of both genders. The plot featured a thrilling heist. It felt very high stakes as we know the antagonist isnt above murder to get what he wants. I missed Taipei, but I really enjoyed exploring Shanghai. The writing was easy to read and totally gripped me from start to finish. I liked the message that people can accomplish a lot when they come together as well as the need for big corporations to prioritize the environment when making decisions.

Best Graphic Novels


Taproot

This follows a gardner who can see ghosts and falls in love with one. It has such a sweet gay romance that I couldn't help but root for. The art style was cute with a quick and compelling flow. I enjoyed the minimal dialogue approach, but I wish it was longer because theres a couple side characters I would have liked to know better. Still an amazing queer graphic novel and I totally recommend. I plan on checking more out by this artist.

Hex Vet Vol.1

I loved the concept of the witch apprentices learning to take care of magical creatures at a veterinary clinic. The mischief that takes place when the apprentices are left alone when the witch doctor leaves on an emergency was a lot of fun. I also thought the art was cute and I liked how the images told as much of the story as the dialogue. After reading some graphic novels with a bunch of cramped dialogue Ive come to realize I prefer the ones with minimal writing.

Raven the Pirate Princess Vol.1

What can I say I love female pirates and this one had such female empowering vibes with all kinds of strong females. Seeing Raven put together an all female crew was a lot of fun. Ive read some of the other Princeless comics, but I think this ones probably my favorite. The art was nice and had a good flow to it, but what really stood out was the awesome female characters and their friendships.

Did You Read Any Favorites Recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment