Monday 3 June 2019

May 2019 Wrap Up


Despite reading 9 books in May I didnt make much progress on my May TBR. I actually have 4 books left that I plan on rolling over to June. Most of May was spent reading books from my April TBR. My ratings for this month were up and down, but all of them were enjoyable. There were a couple books I thought would for sure get 5 stars but ended up disapointing me because of how much I wanted to love them. I did still find some new favorites so lets get into it.

We Hunt The Flame

Rating: 3 Stars
Publication: May 21st, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Format: ARC
Diversity: PoC MC

Zafira was both resourceful and caring. I liked the relationships she had with the women in her life and wish we got more of it. Theres also this sweet cinnamon roll named Deen who I would die for. As for crown prince Nasir, I loved how layered he was. I really felt for him and understood where he was coming from. I enjoyed his complex relationship with the general. It was funny how they pretended not to care and kept picking on each other. The whole quest to return magic wasnt anything new, but the rich Ancient Arabian inspired world added a compelling layer to the story. We get a detailed history full of magic and fascinating beings like ifrits, kaftar, and safins. I did notice a few inconsistencies and I found the pace very slow with only a few exciting scenes sprinkled throughout. I needed more tension and high stakes action to balance out all the self reflection and inner monologue.

Nexus

Rating: 3 Stars
Publication: May 7th, 2019
Zenith #2
Genre: Scifi
Format: Egalley
Diversity: Not Sure

I liked Andi but I wanted more action to back up all that talk about her being a badass. I wish Andis crew hadnt been absent for most of the book. I seriously missed those girls and the lack of female friendships was especially disappointing considering how I wasnt the biggest fan of Dex or the romance. I did love Nor as a villain though. The plot took a while to get exciting with only one action scene in the first 250 pages. The characters are still in danger, but it wasnt as gripping as the first book because that danger didnt feel as immediate or pressing. There were quite a few reveals that really took me by surprise. I love the world with its floating moutains, glittering underground city, and fierce ice dragon. I would have liked more futuristic technology. The writing had quite a few lines that tried to be iconic, but missed the mark because they werent accurate or followed up with some action.

Rapunzel

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Publication: 1812
Genre: Classic
Format: Ebook
Diversity: Not Sure

Im not really one for classics, but Ive read a couple short ones lately and enjoyed them. The writing isnt as difficult as I was expecting so I guess it varies alot from story to story. My favorite is still the Goblin Market. My main issue with this one was the how some the events were just skipped over. It would have been nice to know how rapunzel ended up in the wild. It was interesting to see the difference between this version and the disney one. The beginning specifically was a lot different. Her parents are pretty shitty to have done what they did. Also I can barely have someone touch my hair without it hurting I cant imagine having someones full body weight pulling on it.

Missing Presumed Dead

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Publication: May 21st, 2019
Genre: Paranormal Mystery
Format: Egalley
Diversity: Bi MC & Sapphic Romance

Lexi can talk to ghost and tell how a person will die with a single touch. When people start going missing around her club she makes contact with one of the missing girls ghost and together they try to uncover her murderer. This felt like many other paranormal books Ive read. I did love the queer elements, but its definitely not the main focus. I also appreciated the poor representation but it had some moments where it didnt feel completely authentic. I did think the loneliness of having such a power was portrayed in an authentic way. She does have a close relationship with her grandfather that I really liked. He's the only one who truly understands the effects of having such an ability. It was an easy read to fly through and thats exactly what I needed at the time. I would totally read more from this author.

Aurora Rising

Rating: 4 Stars
Publication: May 7th, 2019
Genre: Scifi
Format: Audiobook
Diversity: Bi MC

It took me a minute to get into the audiobook because of all the sass and sarcasm, but I grew to really love the ragtag crew of rejects and misfits. They read a little younger than thr characters from Illuminae, but I think its important to have those books in the young adult category. Theres an adorable romance that develops, but its a very minor part of the story. The plot turned out to be a lot more epic than I was expecting. We even get a little heist action going on. The reveals we're super exciting and the mystery of Auroas powers was very gripping. I loved all the different alien species and their cultures. The audiobook was extremely well produced with sounds effects and a full cast. I cant wait for the sequel.

Dark Shores

Rating: 4 Stars
Publication: May 7th, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Egalley
Diversity: PoC MC & Queer SC

I enjoyed both Marcus and Terianas perspectives and the complexities of their relationship. The enemies to allies banter they had going on was a lot of fun. This story has a pretty big romantic subplot. I liked how it grew slowly over the course of the book and added some great conflict. I loved how the plot was filled with pirates, blackmail and meddling gods. The ocean journey was super intense. I thought the world was very interesting with the gods, their guardians, and the different god marked powers. The way people can travel long distances in a short amount of time through crystal caves was pretty awesome. This was so gripping I finished it in a couple days. The main reason this was an honorable mention instead of a favorite is because I personally have a difficult time enjoying books where the female main character is held captive.

Crown of Wishes

Rating: 4.5 Stars
Publication: Match 28th, 2017
Star Touched Queen #2
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Audiobook
Diversity: PoC MC

The writing was just as beautiful and whimsical as the first book, but I enjoyed this sequel even more. I believe the main reason for that was because the female main character was intelligent and independent which are two characteristic I really appreciate seeing in female protagonists. She didnt make as many frustrating I also liked decisions as the main character in the first book. I also liked the dynamic between her and the love interest a whole lot more. The story revolved around a tournament of wishes and that was really exciting. Similar to one of my favorite elements of the first book we get a demon helping them a long the way. Not to mention a fascinating side character named Aasha. Ill definitely be reading the novellas so I can get to know her better.

Lost Coast

Rating: 4.5 Stars
Publication: May 14th, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Egalley
Diversity: Queer MC & PoC SC

The main character Danny has been searching for a place where she fits in when she meets the Tempest witches and finally feels like she's exactly where she wants to be. Seeing the coven slowly accept her as one of them while she worked on finding one their missing sister witches was extremely satisfying. They each had their own unique personalities and backstories. The female friendships were amazing and I loved the wide range of representation. I also really enjoyed the atmospheric redwood forest and the witches different affinities. We get chapters from ravens and the redwood trees themselves which was super fascinating. The mystery did a great job of keeping me engaged. The main reason this was bumped to honorable mention instead of my favorites is because the beginning was a little difficult to get into and there were a couple confusing parts I just couldn't wrap my head around.

Trapped

Rating: 5 Stars
Publication: November 27th, 2012
Iron Druid #5
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Audiobook
Diversity: Not Sure

Ive repeated this many times now, but Ill say it again this series is super addictive. The main character has a strong and unique voice that the narrator does an amazing job at portraying. I just adore his talking dog Oberon and the great comic relief he adds to the story. Theres also his apprentice Granuaile who I really like. The romantic tension between the two finally come to a head in this novel. Theres a pretty big jump in time from book 4 to 5 so we get to see Granuaile become a druid after many years of study. Not to mention, I love how in this world all religions are true. Its written in such a way that it feels very realistic and immersive.

Bone Charmer

Rating: 5 Stars
Publication: May 21st, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Egalley
Diversity: Not Sure

Both of Saskias two possible futures were very compelling, and I liked that she still felt like herself in both time lines. I loved how in one future her reading sends her on the path she hoped to avoid while the other gave her exactly what she wished for. The switch between the two time lines was well paced and felt cohesive despite the situations being different. The contrast between the reassurance of knowing ones future and feeling caged by it was fantastic. It had a wonderful message about believing that our decisions can shape our future while still trusting that things happen for a reason even if its not what we want right now. The mystery and danger in both futures was very gripping. I really enjoyed how the bone magic was completely integrated in every aspect of the world and the way it played an important role in the characters lives. It was such a fascinating and intricate magic system.

Graphic Novels:


Black Mage
Rating: 4 Stars

The magic wasnt explained all that well, but I loved the magical school setting and the whole fighting against oppression plot. The underlying theme of the book was featured in a very literal way despite the fantasy elements so a younger audience should be able to grasp them easily. I enjoyed the art style, but the boxes werent in order in the egalley I received so it was a little confusing at times. The balance between fight scenes and dialogue wasnt completely to my taste, but it made for a quick read.

Raven the Pirate Princess
Rating: 5 Stars

What can I say I love female pirates and this one had such female empowering vibes with all kinds of strong females. Seeing Raven put together an all female crew was a lot of fun. Ive read some of the other Princeless comics, but I think this ones probably my favorite. The art was nice and had a good flow to it, but what really stood out was the awesome female characters and their friendships.

📚📚📚📚📚

Stats:

Total Pages: 3714 (Without Comics)
Adult Books: 1
Completed Series: 2
Diverse Books: 5
Audiobooks: 3
Graphic Novels: 2
ARC: 6 + 1 Comic

Readathons:

- Disney Readathon
- Scallywagathon

Genres:

Fantasy: 5
Scifi: 2
Historical: 0
Thriller/Mystery/Horror: 1
Contemporary: 0

Have You Read Any Of These?

No comments:

Post a Comment