Saturday 3 August 2019

July 2019 Reading Wrap Up


Even though I didnt read as many books this month I did manage to pick up a few amazing reads. Besides that, there was one major disappointment and the rest were really good. I did read a bunch of graphic novels and novellas to complete the challenges in the different readathons I was particpating in. Im hoping to read more next month but for now lets get into what I read.

Gideon the Ninth


Rating: 2.5 Stars
Publication: September 10th, 2019
Genre: Scifi
Format: Egalley
Diversity: LGBT+ MC, Cancer SC

I loved Gideon crude humour and brazen attitude. I thought it was a little weird that she didnt actually have powers. I enjoyed the way her relationship with Harrow developped. Harrows ruthless when it comes to getting what she wants and she has a fierce intelligence to match. Im glad we eventually discover why becoming a Lyctor is so important to her. I had a difficult time remembering all the side characters and there wasnt as much sapphic content as I was hoping. When we're first introduced to the world we get a bunch of information and it wasnt described that well. From what I can tell theres nine planets with a different house ruling each and the Emperor ruling over all of them. I believe only the ruling families actually have necromancer abilities, but it was super interesting how each of them specialized in different types of necromancy. The first third of the book wasnt very exciting, but it does get more engaging once Gideon starts to help Harrow solve the challenges. Plots focused on competitions and ones with a mystery element are some of my favorites. Despite loving many parts of this story, the writing prevented me from enjoying it fully. It just didnt mesh with Gideons personality or history.

Merciful Crow


Rating: 3.5 Stars
Publication: July 30th, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Format: ARC
Diversity: LGBT+ SC

Fie is resourceful, intelligent, and isnt afraid to check the Prince and his guards privilege. The Prince Jasimir has some of the most realistic characterization Ive read in a while. Despite trying to be a good person, it took weeks for him to be able to shake off some of the prejudice. His guard Tavin on the other hand was more receptive to the crows struggles. I think living in the shadows, prepared to die for his prince gave him a more open mind. I loved all the different types of relationships, like Fies bond with her father and her clan, her tenuous friendship with Jasmir, and her romance with Tavin. The worlds history and the wide range of casts with different magical abilities was fascinating. I loved how the crows used teeth to access the other casts abilities, but it doesnt make sense that the queen would give them so many powerful teeth. The book is spent traveling and it just got very repetitive after a while. Thankfully theres a sense of danger with them being chased by the queens nasty trackers and creepy ghouls.

Storm Crow


Rating: 3.5 Stars
Publication: July 9th 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Egalley
Diversity: Mental Health

I enjoyed Princess Anthias determination not to let Illucia break her. Her motivation to protect her kingdom was admirable. Her resulting PTSD and depression after her city was attacked was well done. I was super happy to see Thia and her sister get closer before she left to marry the enemy Prince. I also enjoyed the romance, but not everyone will be into the love triangle. Prince Ericen was a lot more complexe then I was expecting. We get to understand why he is the way he is when we meet his cruel mother. The queen made a terrifying and compelling antagonist. We also meet a sweet inventor who tries to help Thia hatch the egg. Thias friendship with Kiva was amazing. The way she supported Thia through her depression was heartwarming. I was impressed by how many side characters were queer. The world was one of my favorite parts with its magical crows and riders. I love how each type of crow had different magical abilities. Besides the attack right at the beginning the pace of the first half wasnt very gripping and thats one of the main reasons I lowered my rating. The waiting around and traveling portion werent very exciting.

Finale


Rating: 4 Stars
Publication: May 7th, 2019
Caraval #3
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Audiobook
Diversity: Not Sure

I loved this trilogy atmospheric writing. It does a wonderful job bringing the setting to life. Listening to the audiobook made the whole experience so much more immersive. This final book was a little less enchanting then the previous books since there isnt a Caraval game at play, but the stakes were a lot higher with the sisters trying to stop the cruel fates from taking over. I did miss the Caraval games since those were my favorite parts of the first book, but the story was still very entertaining. Romance was a major part of the plot and both sisters have their own love triangle going on. I dont mind that trope so I thought the romantic tension was fun. The love interests werent really my type, but I can see how they would appeal to the sisters. I also loved the sisterly bond between Scarlet and Tella, but since they were so occupied with the boys in their lives we dont see them together as much. Im really looking forward to seeing what the author comes out with next.

Queen of Ruin


Rating: 4.5 Stars
Publication: July 2nd 2019
Grace and Fury #2
Genre: Dystopian
Format: Egalley
Diversity: Sapphic SC

I found both Nomi and Serinas chapters super gripping. I love how their incredible sisterly bond was one of the main focus of the story. I really appreciated how being a strong women was represented in different ways. I also loved Nomis relationship with her twin brother and Serinas amazing friendships with the other female prisoners. As for the romance and the love interests, I thought they were both fantastic. They were supportive and was happy to let the girls lead. I would have liked some insight into the main antagonist motivations for being so cruel and manipulative. The world didnt have anything unique about it. No magic, no special technology, not inspired by any specific historical setting from what I could tell. We only get bare minimum details of the main characters surroundings. This could be an issue for some people, but I personally didnt mind it. The writing was used more to create an attachment to the characters and to bring out strong emotions from the reader. Its simple, but powerful and moving. Despite it being very similar to other dystopians Ive read the high stakes and intense battles kept me engaged.

Devouring Gray


Rating: 5 Stars
Publication: April 2nd, 2019
Genre: Horror
Format: Audiobook
Diversity: LGBT+ MC

This had a great group of characters and I loved all the complicated relationships between family members and friends. Most of them are dealing with some serious issues like grief and betrayal. They're all a little broken like me so I found myself quickly connecting to them. Theres a bunch a queer representation that I really appreciated. I also enjoyed the small town vibes with its small town secrets. It has this eerie atmosphere and creepy forest that I absolutely love in books. It gave me Sawkill Girls vibes and that was one of my favorite books of last year. The sinister monster in the woods and the different abilities the founding families possess were awesome. The whole founding families reminded me of the first vampire diaries seasons and it made me all nostalgic. Im so glad we're getting a sequel. Ill definitely be picking it up on audiobook since I just flew through the first one.

Hunted


Rating: 5 Stars
Publication: June 25th, 2013
Iron Druid #6
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Audiobook
Diversity: Not Sure

The audiobook had me staying up until 3 in the morning to finish listening to it. The narrator for this series makes the story feel like an addictive TV show playing in my head. I loved Atticus and Granuailes relationship. In this installment we get Granuailes perspective for the first time and even though her chapters werent as gripping as Atticus I still really appreciated her point of view. I love how she was known as the fierce druid and it was nice to have such a strong female character who stood up against any misogyny. It was a good balance to the humour that some people would call immature. Dont get me wrong it still had me laughing. The a sense of danger throughout as they are being hunted by fae, vampires and gods kept the story very suspenseful and gripping. Theres also some major people who die and another who makes an appearance which I wasnt expecting at all. The Morrigan being able to predict so much such a long time ago was a little hard to believe, but nothing I couldn't overlook. The ending with Oberon was amazing and I cant wait to start the next book. I love talking animals companions.

📚📚📚📚📚

SHORT WORKS:

Little Red Riding Hood by the Grimm Brothers


Rating: 3 Stars

This was very nostalgic for me since I heared it often as a child. It was fun to see what differences there was from what I remembered and this version. The ending wasnt exactly the same and reading it now the idea of being swallowed whole by a wolf is pretty ridiculous. I think it interesting how all of the Grimm stories Ive read so far have a message or moral to the story. This one was obviously that parents need to stop being so neglectful. Okay Im just kidding, its about not to talking to strangers.

The Demon Barker of Wheat Street
Publication: September 8th, 2014


Rating: 5 Stars

This didnt have any important information needed to understand the rest of the series but it was still super entertaining. We have my three favorite characters Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon visiting one of my favorite settings, a carnival. The horror house concept was a lot of fun and the plot was action packed from start to finish. There was lots of demon slaying and human deaths. Unfortunately it wasnt the same narrator as the rest of the series so it wasnt as good, but it was still well done.

Daughter of the Midway, the Mermaid, and the Open, Lonely Sea
Publication: December 15th, 2014
Rating: 5 Stars

This had the enchanting vibe of the Wayward Children series and thats probably why I enjoyed it as much as I did. Ive never needed more from a short story in my life. I want to follow the main character as she tries to find a cure for the memory loss or discovers her mermaid origin. Anything at all. Again this had the midway setting I love so much. The people who run the midway have a fascinating way of life and its a setting that always felt magical. I might have to consider reading the rest if this anthology because the first two were phenomenal. 

📚📚📚📚📚

GRAPHIC NOVELS:

Witchy
Publication: September 17th, 2019


Rating: 5 Stars

This had my favorite type of art style with its bold and colorful illustrations. It has some great world building without it feeling info dumpy and cluttered with text. In a kingdom where the length of ones hair can determine the strength of their magical powers one witch is determined to hide hers in order to avoid being conscripted into the army. The story had a bit more depth than some other stories Ive read with a similar art style. It was compelling and immersive. I found myself immediately wanting more after I was done and thinking about it days later.

Stage Dreams
Publication: September 3rd, 2019


Rating: 4.5 Stars

We follow a transwomen during the civil war who gets kidnapped by a female bandit on her way to San Francisco to join the theatre and avoid conscription. They quickly decide to team up to steal some valuables and in the process they end up falling for each other. This had a fun western setting. The information the author added at the end really showed they did their research on the LGBT+ community during the civil war era. The story was entertaining, but still very important. It has some amazing diversity with the sapphic romance and one of the main characters being a transwomen. Its not the type of artstyle I usually gravitate towards but the queer representation made me want to pick it up. I feel like I got to know the characters pretty well for the short amount of time I had with them. Im hoping we get a second volume because this felt like a quick introduction that wasnt as developped as I wanted it to be.

Heavy Vinyl
Publication: April 10th, 2018


Rating: 4.5 Stars

Id been meaning to pick this up for a long time but I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I loved the female friend group and the cute sapphic romance. The late 90s setting was super nostalgic for me and the music store added this sense of belonging that I really enjoyed. Theres also a girl fight club and missing persons mystery that was a lot of fun. Plus the art style was totally up my alley. I cant wait for volume 2 to come out.

Princeless Volume 5 & 6
Publication: December 5th, 2017


Rating: 4 Stars

I wasnt expecting to read both volumes but once I started it was hard to stop. I love the while feminist vibe and themes found in this comic series. In these volumes queer identities are introduced. Theres also some complicated familial relationships being worked out and not to mention dragons, manticores and gryphons. I didnt really care about the side story with the main characters brother and Im not really intrigued by the black knight since their identity is so obvious. As for the art style, I think its fine, but some panels are better than others.

The Music Box
Publication: Janaury 26th, 2018


Rating: 3.5 Stars

I knew going in it was a middle grade, but I didnt expect it to feel on the very low side of middle grade. That isnt really my thing, but the story was cute and the art was amazing. Such beautiful illustrations really enhanced the magical vibe of the story and it deals with important themes such as loss and grief.

Grimoire Noir
Publication: July 23rd, 2019


Rating: 3 Stars

I loved the beautiful art style and how the color scheme fit the dark and dreery atmosphere of the story. The creepy small town setting full of witches is totally my thing. In this town girls are born with power and anyone with powers is unable to leave so when the main characters powerful little sister goes missing, he knows she cant have gone far. The flow between scenes was a little jarring at times and made me feel like we were missing some information. The dialogue could have used some work.

📚📚📚📚📚

Stats:

Total Pages: 2835 (Without Comics)
Adult Books: 2
Completed Series: 2
Diverse Books: 3
Audiobooks: 3
Graphic Novels: 6
ARC: 4 + 3 Comics

Readathons:

- The Book Junkie Trials
- Mediavathon
- Reading Rush

Genres:

Fantasy: 4
Scifi/Dystopian: 2
Historical: 0
Thriller/Mystery/Horror: 1
Contemporary: 0

2 comments:

  1. Wow you had a great reading month! There are so many of these on my TBR right now. I'm also really curious about what Garber will come out with next.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsie @Crazy4Books22 August 2019 at 12:25

      Thanks. Its less than what I usually read but Im fine with it. I look forward to seeing what you think of these books.

      Delete