Tuesday 30 July 2019

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir Review


Rating: 2.5 Stars
Publication: September 10th, 2019
Genre: Adult SFF
Format: Egalley

Summary:

In a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers, the Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire needs a swordswoman. Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit. Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. But her childhood nemesis Harrow won't set her free without a service because without Gideon's sword, Harrow will fail the trials and lose any chance of becoming an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection. The Ninth House will die, but of course, some things are better left dead.

My Thoughts:

I loved Gideon crude humour and brazen attitude. Her back story was a little vague, but we do get a sense of how difficult and lonely it was. I thought it was a little weird that Gideon wasnt actually a necromancer with powers. I enjoyed the way Gideon and Harrows relationship developped. They start by hating each other, but eventually get closer as they work together to complete the trials. Harrow is ruthless when it comes to getting what she wants and she has a fierce intelligence to match. Im glad we eventually discover why becoming a Lyctor is so important to her. I thought Gideons inability to say no to Dulcinea was adorable. Dulcineas bright personality is very disarming and hides this amazing cunning and resourcefulness. I had a difficult time remembering all the side characters, but by the last third of the book I was finally able to tell them a part. I have to say there wasnt as much sapphic content as I was hoping and it also wasnt as gory or dark as I wanted it to be.

When we'rere first introduced to the world we get a bunch of information that isnt explained clearly. The writing didnt described some of the settings and world building elements that well. From what I can tell Gideon grew up on the dark Ninth House planet with a small community who live underground. They're poor as they dont have any resources to trade, but the other houses still fear them. Theres also eight other planets with a different house ruling each and the Emperor ruling over all of them. I believe only the ruling families actually have necromancer abilities, but Im not completely sure. I thought it was super interesting how each house seemed to specialized in different types of necromancy. I liked the crumbling tower setting where the trials took place. Since the tower is surrounded by a vast sea they're stranded there until they trials are over. Theres also a bunch of locked doors hiding all kinds of dangers.

Im positive theres a few important parts I totally missed like the wedding anniversary supper where we got a bunch of different conversations at the same time. If I hadnt picked this up for a readathon I probably would have given up on it. I dont remember the last time a book took me this long to finish. The first third of the book wasnt very exciting, but it does get more engaging once Gideon starts to help Harrow solve the challenges. I liked the whole idea of them being invited by the Emperor to compete in these dangerous trials. Plots focused on competitions are one of my favorites. I also love when books have a mystery element. Despite loving the characters and the concept, the writing prevented me from enjoying the story to its fullest. The writing just didnt mesh with Gideons personality or history.

Diversity: Sapphic MC, SC With Cancer
Trigger Warnings: Graphic Violence and Murder - Suicide - Blood - Ritualistic Self Harm -  Fatal Illness - Mentions of Past Parent and Infant Deaths as well as Mass Killing by Gasing

*This book was received for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment