Wednesday 31 July 2019

The Book Junkie Trials Wrap Up


This readathon took place during the entire month of July. Theres four teams with different paths/challenges as well as strength and weaknesses for each. We also have to stick to our original TBR and have to read them in order of our path. This wasnt easy, but I managed it. While I was slowly making my way through my path I ended up reading some other things to completed the other challenges. You can find all the information on the readathons Twitter Account You should also check out the lovely creator Rachael Marie on her Booktube Channel.

TEAM BARD:
Strength: Count a DNF as Read
Weakness: Book With Music or Poetry


MAP:


CHALLENGES:


Elven Guards: Features War, Military or Political Themes

Storm Crow
368 pages

This one military focused country is going to war and conquering neighboring countries one at a time and this book follows a girl whose country is the next one attacked. The enemy offers a marriage alliance and the main character accepts it while she tries to make allies with the resistance left in the other countries and convince them to fight back together. This has political, war and military themes so it definitely covers this challenge.


Hallow Ilse: Atmospheric or Horror Book

Devouring Gray
368 pages

This had some great small town vibes with a creepy woods and an eerie atmosphere. The audiobook made it even more so. I got super immersed and just absolutely loved it. It also deals with a sinister monster in the woods so it could be considered somewhat horror.


Empty Barrel Inn: An Indulgent Read

Heavy Vinyl
112 pages

I think comics are a fun indulgent read and I thought this one would be great for the Bards music weakness since it takes place in a music store. I loved the art, the friendships and the mystery. I really hope volume 2 comes out soon. I need more queer comics in my life.


Giant Squid: An Intimidating Book

Gideon the Ninth
448 pages

Since I dont read adult books very often let alone adult scifi books this one intimidated me a little. Its also been super hyped so that was even more intimidating. I just felt like it could end up having pretty dense and technical writing that I wouldnt enjoy. This took me like 2 weeks to read so maybe not the best choice for a readathon.


Bookie Grail: Group Book

Stardust
368 pages

Since the last challenge took me until the end of the month to complete and there was a super long wait list for the audiobook at my library I was only able to read the first couple pages of the ebook so I used my bard strength to DNF this one. I know I wont be able to finish it today before the readathon ends and I have some review books I really need to get to.


EXTRA CHALLENGES:


Crimson Peak: Reread a Favorite

Little Red Riding Hood

Im not sure if it was word for word the same as this Grimm Brothers version, but I remember loving this fairytale as a child. Its been so long since I had read the story that I forgot some parts so it was nice to revisit it.


Queendom Stone: Features Royality

Queen of Ruin
336 pages

This story has two prince fighting for the throne, but its a lot more than that. Its about female empowerment and how strength comes in many forms. It also has an amazing sisterly bond and female friendships.


Forgotten Forest: Next in a Series

Demon Barker of Wheat Street
35 pages

This novella is part of the Iron Druid Chronicles and it takes place between books 4 and 5. I try to read all the novellas in between each book.


Weeping Falls: Read a Tear Jerker

Grimoire Noire
290 pages

I very rarely cry while reading. I can't remember the last time its happened, but I thought a story about a missing sister might be sad and it was at times, but it didnt make me cry unfortunately.


Dwarf Mount: Hint of Romance

Stage Dream Vol. 1
104 pages

I knew I wanted to pick a queer romance for this challenge so I thought this would be perfect. Its a western during the civil war and follows a transwomen trying to make it to San Francisco to join theatre and a female bandit who ends up kidnapping her. They end up teaming up and falling for each other which was super cute.


Apothecary Towers: Pick at Random

The Music Box Vol. 1
66 pages

I went on my hoopla saved comics list and scrolled through with my eyes closed until randomly picked this one.


The Great Library: TBR Forever

Hunted
384 pages

My brother has been pushing to read this series forever. Its one of his favorites and I finally managed to get into it this year. Im hoping to complete it by the end of the year.


Drowning Deep: Rich World Building

Finale
478 pages

The world of Caraval is so enchanting and captivating. We get even more world building information in this third book as we learn more about the fates and the main characters mother history.


Orc Grove: Dark and Gritty Book

Merciful Crow
384 pages

The main characters job is to offer mercy kills to plague victims and then burn their bodies so pretty dark and gritty. On top of that she uses human bones to access magic.


Ol Pirate Cover: Takes Part on the Sea

Daugther of the Midway, the Mermaid and the Open Lonely Sea
32 pages

I honestly thought this would fit the challenge given the title, but theres only a lake. I decided to still mention it here since it is what I picked up for the challenge.


Glimmer: Colorful Book

Witchy Vol. 1
256 pages

I couldnt think of a better choice for this challenge then a comic with bold colors. The art was so vibrant and beautiful. I cant wait for the next volume.


Draconic Isles: Features Dragons

Princeless Vol. 5 & 6
256 pages

The main character in this comic series has a dragon named Sparky and in volume 6 we get to visit the monster farm where Sparkys mother lives.


Total Page Count: 4285

No comments:

Post a Comment