Monday 15 July 2019

Queen of Ruin by Tracy Banghart Review


Rating: 4.5 Stars
Publication: July 2nd, 2019
Grace and Fury #2
Genre: Dystopian
Format: Egalley/Audiobook
Diversity: Sapphic SC

Summary:

In a world where women have no rights, sisters Serina and Nomi Tessaro face two very different fates: one in the palace, the other in prison. Betrayal, grief, and violence have changed both sisters, and the women of Mount Ruin have set their sights on revenge beyond the confines of their island prison. They plan to sweep across the entire kingdom, issuing in a new age of freedom for all. But first they'll have to get rid of the Superior, and only Nomi knows how. Separated once again, this time by choice, Nomi and Serina must forge their own paths as they aim to tear down the SpiritTheme know, and build something better in its place. A fierce sequel full of sisterhood, heart pounding action, betrayal, and court intrigue, this duology breathes new life into the feminist story of oppression and resistance.



My Thoughts:

I found both Nomi and Serinas chapters super gripping. I love how their incredible sisterly bond was one of the main focus of the story. Seeing the way the sisters handled having their intended paths switched was really interesting. The sister who trained to become a Grace turned into a rebel warrior while the rebellious sister had to learn to navigate court as a Grace. Despite their different situations they realize they both have the power to change things and both sisters are just as determined to use their new positions to help the women in their country. I really appreciated how being a strong women was represented in two different ways. I also loved Nomis relationship with her twin brother and how he was the one who taught her to read. Then theres Serinas amazing friendships with the other female prisoners. It was nice to them all respect the vote even when it wasnt the result everyone wanted.

As for the romance and the love interests, I thought they were both fantastic. I loved seeing the girls initiate kissing and the boys be all sweet and tender about it. The way Val was happy to see Serina make the decisions and take the lead was too precious. He was just really kind and supportive. Then theres Nomis love interest, quiet and intense Malachi going against eveything his been raised to believe about women and the way he should treat them. I wish his motivations had been explored a bit more. I dont fully know why he decided to support women and when Nomi asks he just says "you know why". I understand he loves her, but that doesnt automatically mean he wants women to have equal rights. I also would have liked some insight into the main antagonist motivations for being so cruel and manipulative. Being evil just because they can doesnt really work.

This world is definitely what I would call a dystopian with the women living under a terribly oppressive regime. It didnt have anything unique about it. No magic, no special technology, not inspired by any specific historical setting from what I could tell. We only get bare minimum details of the main characters surroundings. This could be an issue for some people, but I personally didnt mind it. The writing was used more to create an emotional attachment to the characters and to bring out strong emotions from the reader. Its simple, but powerful and moving. It made me feel a whole range of emotions. I was swooning over the romance in one moment and then angry at the oppressive system in the other. The amount of satisfaction I got from the ending was enough to put me in a good mood for days. Im was also super happy the sapphic couple got a happy ending.

The author did a great job of keeping me invested in the plot despite it being very similar to other dystopians Ive read. This sequel amps up with higher stakes and more intense battles. The sense of danger and urgency kept me on the edge of my seat. The feminst vibes we get from seeing all these women fight back made a compelling narrative. On top of that we have the awesome characters and their relationships that really made this story stand out. Theres this scene where Nomi tells Malachi she wouldnt have believed him over Asa that I found very authentic, but I dont think her decision to go seek revenge on her own was believable or smart. Im sad this is only a duology because I would love seeing how the sisters handle the struggles of reshaping their country to finally recognize women as equals. If you're looking for an empowering and evocative read then go pick up this duology.

*This book was received for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment