Thursday 4 July 2019

Wicked Fox by Kat Cho Review


Rating: 4 Stars
Publication: June 25th, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Format: ARC /Audiobook
Diversity: Asian MC

Summary:

No one in modern-day Seoul believes in the old fables anymore, which makes it the perfect place for Gu Miyoung and her mother to hide in plain sight while still feeding every full moon. Miyoung is a Gumiho, an immortal nine-tailed fox, who must eat the souls of men to survive. With the help of her friend Naras shamanic abilities to talk to spirits she finds men who have evaded justice for horrendous crimes and feeds on their soul. Her life is upended when she kills a dokkaebi, a murderous goblin, in the forest just to save the life of a human boy. After Miyoung saves Jihoon's life and starts attenting his school where they end up in the same class the two develop a tenuous friendship that blooms into romance forcing Miyoung to choose between her immortal life and Jihoon's.


My Thoughts:

I loved Miyoungs character growth from being snappy and pushing everyone away to finally being open to the possibility of having friends. Her struggle between her Gumiho side and her human side was done extemely well. I liked her dark and cynical side just as much as her vulnerable and caring side. Some of Miyoungs decisions were a little frustrating, but I do understand why she made them. We also follow the perspective of the boy she saves from a goblin attack. I thought her friendship and eventual romance with Jihoon was amazing. It takes a while for Miyoung to warm up to him, but Jihoon is very persistent at winning her over. He has a lot more in common with Miyoung than one would expect. They've both had lonely and difficult pasts. The way he always saw the best in her and was upfront about his feelings was admirable. I loved how his group of friends accepted Miyoung as one of their own. I also found Jihoons relationship with his grandmother super heartwarming.

Miyoungs relationship with her mother was pretty strained, but we get to see just how much her mother cares through her actions to protect Miyoung. This made me appreciate their relationship so much more. I found her mothers mysterious character very intriguing. I enjoyed her character arc and her back story, but I felt like I was missing some information. How is she a full Gumiho if they only have women. Wouldnt her father be human just like Miyoung. I also had to suspend my disbelief when it came to her mother being hundreds of years old and never having found love before Miyoungs father, but I guess she lived a very secluded life. I still feel like a lot of their problems could have been fixed had her mother listened to her and been more opened about her past. Wouldnt Miyoung be safer if she was informed about the possible dangers. I just personally dislike it when miscommunication is used to advanced the plot.

This is a fantasy romance so the plot focused a lot on the adorable relationship between Miyoung and Jihoon. The progression of their relationship felt very authentic. Their wonderful dymamic and believable conflicts kept me engaged. Miyoungs mother distaste of humans made it very difficult for them to be together and created some great tension. Besides the romance, the plot focused on returning Miyoungs soul bead to her body. The intensity escalates as we get some exciting betrayals and the very high possibility of death. There were parts that were a little slow, but I still really enjoyed those moments because I got to immerse myself into the modern day Seoul setting. Theres also a bit of high school drama at the beginning, but I didn't mind it. I thought the mix of fantasy and contemporary was blended together seamlessly. I also loved learning more about the Gumiho lore. Im assuming there will be a sequel, but this also works well as a standalone. If you enjoy monster girls and a well crafted romance with your fantasy then give this book a try.

*This book was received for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment